Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Thick Skin... Whatever

Being a drama teacher has made me realize how much of a thick skin I need to have. I wish everyone could get what they want. I wish everyone could read their name on a list next to the part they've always dreamed they would play. But what would Fiddler on the Roof be with 30 Tevye's??? Not Fiddler. You need the leads, you need the supporting parts, you need the ensemble. EVERYONE is important. Unfortunately, not everyone gets the recognition. I try VERY hard to make every person who does a show with me feel valued, loved and important. I am sick of being scrutinized and second guessed. I've realized in addition to developing a thick skin I need to develop the attitude of 'whatever'. You think I made a mistake? Whatever. You think I play favorites? Whatever.
I hate casting shows. I hate knowing some people will completely disagree with my choices. I hate knowing there will be tons of gossip and second guessing. I HATE IT.
I wish all the parents (yes I said parents first because it seems that they are the ones to perpetuate the gossip more than the kids...) and students could sit in on the casting process and understand how agonizing it is for me. So here it is-
Dear People who care,
Whenever I cast a show the #1 thing I take into consideration is the students. I try to pick shows that will allow as many as possible to shine. Then I take into consideration the community, I know the overall values and feelings. But, EVERY SINGLE SHOW HAS QUESTIONABLE CONTENT!!! It is what you choose to emphasize, but reality is that you need the dark and the light. But I am aware and I try to meet the needs of the community. I am not going to RENT at Hunter High. But, I am here to teach. And there are Nazi's in the Sound of Music, but I will TEACH the kids what that means. And if you don't want your child to be in my production because of that. That is fine. I really don't care. But you can't take the Nazi's out of the Sound of Music and I will NOT change the show.
I know when I cast a show that I am dealing with kids putting themselves out there to be judged. I know it is hard, I know their feelings and ego are on the line. I try to make them feel comfortable and confident. But the fact is, some kids are more talented. When casting a musical I look at the following things as equally important- Musicality, Acting Ability, Physical Appearance, Reliability and Chemistry. Sometimes I have to sacrifice some traits but ideally all should be there. For example: this fall I am doing the Sound of Music, I have an incredibly talented kid who played Finch in "How to Succeed..." However, he looks his age and there is NO way he would be believable as a father to seven children. So, he is not the lead. Now, you may think your kid is the best singer in the universe, but as American Idol has taught us, sometimes parents put delusional ideas into their children's heads. And you may enjoy hearing them sing, but if I don't, they will not be singing a solo in my musical. Because it is MY musical, I make the choices.
Casting is a GIANT puzzle. But, I do it sensitively and prayerfully. I love these kids. I appreciate their hard work and I understand what a sacrifice it is to be in a show.
But, understand this. I have to make hard choices. I am being judged on the quality of my show. Yes, I am going to give every kid who wants to be in my musical an opportunity. But, I want to produce the best possible show that I can. I do not do anything half-hearted. So, stop judging me, stop gossiping about me and stop second guessing the moves that I make. Teach your kids it's ok to not be the center of attention and the idea that the group is often more important than the individual.
Thank You
-Ms. Parkes
P.S. I cast my nieces in the Sound of Music because I know they can do it. They are both insanely talented. I can discipline them easily and I know they will do what I need them to do. Are there other kids in the community who would be a better choice? Probably. But I DON'T CARE! Putting together a musical is hard enough, I don't want kids and parents running around that I don't know making my life more difficult. So I cast my nieces. Will they be awesome? Yes. Is it nepotism? Perhaps. DO I CARE? No!
...Whatever!
It's MY show, MY job, MY program and long after the kids leave. I will still be there...
Whatever...

4 comments:

Julie Barnes said...

I can not even imagine what a director must go through to cast a show. I am sure you are doing and amazing job! Wish I lived in Utah so I could stop by and see one... :)

Yukiko said...

You go girl! Good luck with your show next fall.

Sharon said...

Seriously? Every musical has good guys and bad guys - and Sound of Music is a classic. Your cast is going to be awesome. I hope I get to see the show.

Jenni said...

Wow! I guess I never thought about the guff people would give the director for their choices. So sorry! I have no doubt that you do the absolute best. I haven no doubt that you include prayer and a lot of thought. I think you are fantastic!