Sunday, June 21, 2015

Lava

Yesterday I saw the movie "Inside Out" and I loved it. I've read plenty of posts about how universally loved it is and I echo those feelings. As we sat in the theatre, I remarked to my nephew Elliott that I wondered what the short film would be. It started and I thought... how quaint.

 
SPOILER ALERT (If you haven't seen the movie yet now is the time to stop reading and run (don't walk) to the theatre and see the film!)

It's a simple story about an optimistic volcano looking for love and just as he is about to give up forever, love finds him. That is the story in a nutshell. But it spoke to me on such a deeper level. In fact, it made me more emotional than "Inside Out" (which also touched me). I guess the reason why is I've been trying so hard lately to not care about being alone. I've been trying so hard to remain optimistic about my life and situation. And I realized I don't always know what's on the horizon... or just beneath the surface of the ocean. And yes, I am fine with my situation, but sometimes I get very bitter, angry and cynical. Read on-

Here are the lyrics to the song:

A long, long time ago there was a Volcano
Living all alone in the middle of the sea.
He sat high above his bed
Watching all the couples play
And wishing that he had someone too
And from his lava came this song of hope
That he sang out loud every day for years and years.

I have a dream- I hope will come true
That you're here with me and I'm here with you
I wish that the Earth sees the Sky up above-a
Will send me someone to Lava

Years of singing all alone turned his lava into stone
Until he was on the brink of extinction
But little did he know that living in the sea below
Another Volcano was listening to his song
Everyday she heard his tune, her lava grew and grew
Because she believed his song was meant for her.
Now she was so ready to meet him above the sea
As he sand his song of hope for the last time...

I have a dream- I hope will come true
That you're here with me and I'm here with you
I wish that the Earth sees the Sky up above-a
Will send me someone to Lava

Rising from the sea below, stood a lovely Volcano
Looking all around- but she could not see him
He tried to sing to let her know to let her know
That she was not there all alone
But with no lava- his song was all gone
He filled the sea with his tears
And watched his dreams disappear
As she remembered what his song meant to her...

I have a dream- I hope will come true
That you're here with me and I'm here with you
I wish that the Earth sees the Sky up above-a
Will send me someone to Lava

Oh there were so happy to finally meet above the sea
All together now- their lava grew and grew.
No longer are they all alone with Aloha as their new home
And when you visit them- this is what they sing.

I have a dream- I hope will come true
That you'll grow old with me and I'll grow old with you.
We thank the Earth, Sea, the Sky we thank too.
I Lava You
I Lava You
I Lava You.

As a 36 year old never married eternal optimist- it's hard not to harden your heart and become cyncical- and this short was such a sweet little reminder to stay tender and not lose hope. Yes, be happy in your situation, stay optimistic- but not lose hope.

I also read an interview with the director Jim Murphy where he talked about his inspiration for the short. "Lava is Murphy’s passion project that began nearly four years ago after being inspired to create the short when returning to Hawai’i with his family for vacation. It all came together when he researched how volcanoes were formed during the time they were celebrating his sister’s wedding. He commented, “she was just getting married for the first time at 43, so she did a lot of waiting…something that volcanoes also have to do to reveal themselves.”
I loved the part where he briefly mentioned his sister getting married for the first time at 43.

I guess my point is don't let your lava turn to stone. :)

3 comments:

Angela said...

Rats, I'm going to have to wait to read this. :/

Stacey said...

It was a beautiful little film!

Angela said...

Finally saw it! That really is sweet, I love it, too. :)