Sunday, November 24, 2013

West Side Story

I absolutely love what I do. Tonight was the third performance of "West Side Story" and it was amazing. I am so proud of this show, I am so moved every night when I see it and I am so grateful to be able to do what I do.

When I first decided to do the show it was more for my music director Mark than for me. I've always liked the show, but because there isn't really a part for me, it has never been one of my favorites. But this past summer, with everything that happened in my personal lif, I was in the perfect frame of mind to direct this show. I had just experienced a profound heartbreak and was struggling to find some shred of hope when I began working on this show. Little did I know what this process would teach me- little did I know how this show would help heal my heart- little did I know how much this show would come to mean to me.

Usually at this point in a production, I am ready to be done with the show. I'm not with this one. It is so beautiful, poignant and I will be sad to put it to rest on Monday. The cast has been incredible. Today at call, I thanked them for placing their trust in me. As a director, I break them down as actors, just to build them again stronger. It is a time consuming process, but they grow so much. They place so much tender trust and faith in me. It is incredibly humbling.

And I sit there in the dark and watch the world I've created come to life. And I see the kids as they truly are- amazing people and I am so excited for what their future holds.

It is a story of hope and understanding even in the midst of great despair. Doing this show has changed me. It has been a beautiful ride. And I am forever thankful.










2 comments:

Lynette said...

I can't come to see the show, so I appreciate the pictures. I can tell from the pictures that you had a good group of kids to work with. Makes me miss being involved in a production like that! I got goosebumps looking through the pictures. :) I'm so glad the show is going well and I hope your closing night is AWESOME. :)

Amy said...

I can't tell you how happy I am to read this post. Beautiful. Happy! Sad I had to miss it and it's over too soon. But what an amazing blessing and perfect timing! You are certainly loved.