Sunday, July 7, 2013

Reflections on the Online Dating World



Every so often I steamroll myself into activating my online dating account. Usually it accompanies an emotional reaction to something that has happened to me. And, yes, this time is no exception, but I don't care to delve into details at this time. Too complicated, sad and frustrating. Basically, I feel like I need to make some sort of effort and The Lord will help me if I do my part... So, needless to say, I am usually not in the right head space when I delve into online dating.


Things I like:
1- No fear of rejection
2- it can be anonymous and no pressure
3- It is relatively easy
4- A buffet of single men

Things I dislike:
1- Lack of commitment
2- I feel more like an object than a person
3- Still can be rejected
4- IT COSTS MONEY!!
5- It is impersonal
6- You can't get to know a person from a profile ...

I find when I am perusing the meat market I get very, very discouraged. I feel like the guys I find attractive would never go for me, and the guys who would go for me I have no interest in. It's a terrible quandary to be in.

But, I just activated it for 3 months. Why not? Right? Right?...

I'm a cute girl, but I know I am so much more in person. I feel like my strongest asset is my personality and humor. Which. Is really hard to decipher from a sterile profile. Oh we'll, here is my leap of faith, my act of desperation and my attempt to move on in my life. And who know, maybe this time it will work?

On another note- each of the four times I've had an activated account- no real dates have transpired. It doesn't seem to matter how proactive I am- how many flirts, messages or winks I send. Even the guys who have written a few times- they've never actually asked me out. (One guy lasted for around 40 pointless messages back and forth- I kept hinting at him to ask me out, but then I realized that I didn't want to go out with him. So, I cut ties). I just feel like it is a waste of my money. But yet, I am driven by hope that maybe this time will work?
Doubt it, but only time will tell.

2 comments:

LizzyHouse said...

As a girl who is perpetually single I find the bigger problem to be remaining open and positive about the situation. Like most things, if you decide that something isn't going to work before you even begin, it usually isn't going to work. And it seems like you can only remain happy, positive, and optimistic for so long before you remember that the thing that you want, still isn't working. So the difficult thing, and the part where I really have to lean on the Lord, is the actual act of believing that it's all possible. Because when we push stuff away from us, the root of that is a disbelief.

It won't work, because it can't.

Well it isn't true. It's actually a lie. Of course it can work, whether online or a set up or randomly meeting someone. But we believe the lie, and we let it color how we perceive ourselves, and how we think others perceive us. It's a vicious cycle of unbelief. And you are right. Online dating is sterile, and they can't see that you are great, and lovely, and loyal, and good, and all of the potential that you have to be an amazing wife/mother/partner. You've got to believe in you, believe in the timing and hand of the Lord, and everything else will just work itself out.

I'm allowed to say all of this because I KNOW ALL ABOUT IT.

Amber Hillis said...

Amazing to say the least! You are by far amazing and time will come!