Sunday, July 14, 2013

My Dear Missionaries,

Recently I have been attending a lot of farewells as my former students prepare to leave their lives behind and serve the Lord for a time. It makes my heart happy to sit in the congregation and listen to their testimonies. And as I sit there, I think about what I would have each of them know as they go forth to serve- so this is for them-


My Dear Missionaries,
I am so humbled that I have been a part of your life as a teacher. I hope I have been a good example to you and that you will take with you some of the lessons you learned from me. As you leave on your mission no doubt you are excited, anxious and maybe a little scared.
I want you to know the following things-

1- Matthew 5:48 states, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." As a missionary, you are expected to adhere to a higher standard. You are asked to forsake worldly pursuits for a time and spend all your time doing the Lord's work. I guarantee you will have days that are hard. I guarantee there will be days when you question your decision to serve. I can guarantee that the adversary will do his best to get you down. So remember this, the atonement is for you as well as for the people you serve. As long as you do your best each day, the Lord will make up the difference for you. Also, look at the above scripture in a slightly different light- "Be ye, therefore perfect..." Be ye. Be yourself. The Lord has given you specific talents, strengths and personality traits. You have been called to serve where you are going because of who you are. Your gifts will be utilized in ways you can't even imagine. "Be ye, therefore perfect".

2- Missions are all about love. Loving the people you serve, loving your companions and sharing the beautiful message of God's everlasting love for each of us. I remember one specific example from my mission when we were teaching a less than savory character. But, for a brief moment, I saw him differently. I saw him as he truly was, a son of God. And I was overwhelmed with love for him. It was such a gift to be able to see people through the eyes of the Savior as one of his servants. Also, there will be times when your companion will be hard to get along with. You may have conflicting personalities, you may not get along and you may not even like them very much. But remember, they are a child of God and strive to see them as the Savior sees them. And when all else fails, serve them. Exhibit kindness toward them- little acts of service make all the difference in the world. Even if you don't like them, you can still love them.

3- Have fun! Some of my happiest memories are from my time as a missionary! The gospel is a message of joy and hope. Plus you're human, don't be too serious :)

4- Lastly, try to live each day to your very best. As you look at the beginning of your mission, it may seem like 2 years or 18 months is a very long time. Trust me, it's not. So, make the most of it. Forgive yourself for shortcomings, strive to always have the spirit with you, be yourself, love everyone you meet and cherish the moment. You are joining a on going relay race and the baton has just been handed to you. Now, run. Hold on tight- because the time will come when you pass the baton to someone else just like I did 12 years ago. So make the most of it, because your service will change your life.

5- One more thing- you can do this! On days when you feel like you are inadequate, lonely, anxious and homesick. Just go to work and if it helps- picture me cheering you on. Because I am.

It is such an amazing joy and honor to serve the Lord. And I am so excited for your upcoming adventures! Thank you so much for being a part of my life. Thank you for your enthusiasm for the gospel and the sacrifices you are making. You're going to change the world- one soul at a time, starting with your own!

Love,
Ms. Parkes

2 comments:

Cyndi Barker said...

Thank you Ms Parks, I am going to print this and send it to Joel. He went to the MTC last Wednesday. Even though he wasn't actually in your class, you have had a big impact on him and his friends. For this I thank you.
Joel's mom, Cyndi Barker

Lynette said...

I LOVE your perspective on the scripture verse you shared. WOW! Thank you for insight on that. Your students are so blessed to have had a teacher like you. :) What a great way to help send them out into the field!