I am currently in rehearsals for "The Sound of Music" and it marks my 10th show I have directed in my teaching career. And I am having a hard time really getting into this one. I love the story and I have a fantastic cast, I just feel overwhelmed with the stress of it all and I am lacking some of my usual creativity.
It's always about money. I don't have any outside money to bring in and all the money in my budget is based on how much money I made the previous year. And Musicals are very expensive to produce. The rights alone are around $3,000- and normally I pay that sum when the run is over, but, the finance secretary and I had a mis-communication and she has already paid that amount. Which means, going into the production, I am already $3,000 short...
This is an expensive show. So many costumes and I want it to look amazing- which all equals money. Some of my adult production team aren't living up to my expectations and I am having a hard time getting on them for it. I don't really express my stress in an outward manner, so unless you know me well- I always appear calm and collected- while underneath I am sometimes at my tipping point.
I just need to find my inspiration and fast! We are a month and a half from performances. I have consistently put on outstanding shows and I want this one to live up to mine and everyone else's expectations!!
Sigh...
"I've always longed for adventure, to do the things I've never dared, now here I'm facing adventure- then why am I so scared?"
"Oh I must stop all these doubts, all these worries. If I don't, I just know I'll turn back. I must dream of the things I am seeking- I am seeking the courage I lack."
This weekend is a 3 day weekend because of parent teacher conferences. I am hoping a little r & r will do me some good as I get into the bulk of the production.
On a personal note, I've half-heartedly decided to be more pro-active in the dating world. Although I'm not sure when I will have the time to accomplish this goal. I'm going to seek out mid-singles social activities, and I've reactivated my online dating account. But, to be honest, my heart's not really in it. But, if I don't make changes, how will my circumstance change? I also made a recent decision to move forward in my own life, even though it means leaving someone behind. And, that's a hard decision to make, even though I know it's the right one. Right decisions are often difficult.
And life goes on.
4 comments:
Can you make a half-hearted decision to be pro-active?
Also, good luck with your show. It's a big show, but it was one of the first I ever saw, and it had a big impact on me. Just think of that when you get low on motivation.
What a fun show to be a part of... maybe you can get some parents to donate fabric for costumes. I am not creative when it comes to putting a whole show together, actually, I wouldn't even know where to start, so you are LEAGUES ahead :)
Pre-sell tickets to families! We would buy.
- I love The Sound Of Music andI agree with the pre-sold tickets idea. Also, do they allow advertising in the play book? Best of luck as you put final preparations and rehearsals together
Post a Comment