Friday, July 9, 2010

Can't sleep- too many thoughts!

I just killed a massive spider that was on my wall. I normally don't kill spiders, I just look at them and ask them to please remove themselves from my sight- but this one was huge. Now I feel a little bit of remorse...

It is 12:10 am and my head is swimming with a lot of different thoughts that I don't want to forget. So, I got myself out of bed and now I am writing this blog about my thoughts.

Summer is a great time- I don't do a whole heck of a lot- so as a result I do WAY too much thinking. It's no secret that leaving my job at Valley has been especially hard for me. Even though it's nice to have a break, there is a part of me that wants to already be at Hunter so I can just jump into the thick of things. Today, Kirsten, the gal who is taking my job called and left me a message asking about my program and such. I am going to call her back tomorrow. By the way, I am so glad they hired her, she was my #1 choice. She is a spunky graduate fresh from BYU and I think the kids will love her.
Anyway, I pulled out my yearbook and read some of the things that the kids wrote and cried like a baby. How did I get to be so blessed to be doing what I do? One of my students, Jami- wrote me a very touching letter- "First off, I would like to thank you... about a million times over. You have done so much magnificent and amazing things for this school. You are one of those teachers that make a difference in a student's life. Even if it's someone simply putting a smile on their face at one point during the day, it makes a difference, and that would be you.
I know of countless students who absolutely love and adore, and I just so happen to be one of them. You have taught me to take chance, to take risks and to put myself out there. You have shown me that actually putting my best foot forward, can lead me to my own path of success.
Having you as a teacher for both seventh and eighth grade in fact was an honor on my part. You're merely perfect for the job of a drama teacher. For you know exactly how to break kids out of their shell and show themselves in an entirely new aspect. Once again, I just so happen to be one of those kids.
I cannot put into words how heartrending it is to see you leave, but how enlivening and proud I am to see you be given an opportunity like this. I hope you know I wish you the absolute best and that your career continues in the path it's traveling.
You have truly changed my life and taught many things I never knew before. Please don't forget that you have a student here that will always be using what you taught her for her future, because she will never forget someone like you.
Teaching has made me realize the power that everyone possesses to influence others. Yes, I am a teacher and therefor I am in close proximity to teens... but we all have opportunities to teach and lift each other. It is my hope and prayer that people take the precious opportunity to do this- to lift others, to help them realize their potential. We have such a power as human beings to make an impact on each other (but it up to us whether it be positive or negative.) It is my prayer that mine will be positive.

I also spent some time recently with some old friends from high school who have made drastically different life choices from my own. We had a great time laughing and reminiscing. They joked about trying to corrupt me, but were sure that by so doing they would earn a lower spot in heaven. ;) Anyway, even though it was fun, it just made me so grateful for the choices that I have made. My choices haven't always been easy, and there have been many times I just want to throw in the towel so to speak. But, oh how it is all worth it! And I realized something- I am in the right place and the right time for me. I am precisely where the Lord would have me be, it is now just up to me to seek His will and do it!

And that my friends is all for now- so hopefully now I will be able to get some sleep. Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

Eve said...

This is beautiful. I love seeing the student actively seek for new and better adjectives to describe you. It's clear she put a lot of work into that letter. What an honor! You're a superhero.

Jon said...

Awesome read Kjersti! Even as a sub I cherish the few moments I could tell something I said made a difference...can only imagine what kind of difference you have been able to make building actual relationships with your students. I'm sure it will continue even more at Hunter as you will probably have many students for 4 years.

MisterKerr said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: that basement is full of giant spiders.