Monday, December 22, 2008

Realizations

It's the first day of Christmas break! YES!!!! Teaching can be SOOO stressful, and breaks are greatly appreciated and needed.

This morning I got up in a bit of a funk, but I promised myself I would work out, so I did. And post work out when I was uploading my calories burned, I started thinking about why weight is so hard to lose, why gaining is SOOOO easy and what stops me from being the best person I can be, and why I am worth it.

1- Why I gain weight- I LOVE LOVE LOVE food! I love trying new things, healthy things, fattening things, I don't really discriminate. Also, my internal 'stop eating you are now satisfied' button is broken. Seriously, if it's still in front of me and I know I'm full, I'll absentmindedly pick at my food until it is gone and I feel REALLY crappy. Eating is ingrained in me, when I celebrate, I eat- when I'm sad, I eat- when I'm bored... you guessed it I eat. And finally, in my darkest moments- I feel like I don't deserve any better.

2- Why losing is hard- Who likes exercise? Seriously who? (Ok, you may like the way you feel afterward, but who wakes up and says to themselves, "let's go running!" with the same enthusiasm they would say "I'm going to Disney World!") It's HARD work! You are creating new habits, you have to keep track of what you eat. It doesn't matter what gimmicky diets may tell you. It's a matter of calories consumed and calories burned, to lose weight you must have a deficit. It takes work and dedication, and sometimes sacrifice. Finally, it is SO easy to be lazy and SO hard to be disciplined.

3-What stops me from being the best person I can be- Life. Did I sign up for this? Disappointments, rejections, failures, feelings of inadequacies... Not believing in myself, getting down on myself for not being 'perfect'... What is perfection anyway? (A really good creme brulee...)

4- Why I am worth it- When I was watching the Biggest Loser the other night, one of the contestants, Stacy talked about why she was inspired to lose the weight. She had a friend who died from complications of obesity... at the age of 32. That is a tragedy. I know the loneliness obesity can bring. That will NEVER be me! I have so much to offer the world in whatever capacity the Lord sees fit. And, the Lord deserves my best, which means becoming healthy. So in those moments of darkness, take hold and shine! I am beautiful.

5- What now? I know some of you who read this blog also struggle with weight. So what now? Day by day. Let's support each other, give tips, cheer each other on and do this together! Starting now!!!!!! Even if it just means walking in place while watching the 6'o clock news. It's something!

Here are my tips for weight loss-
1- When going out to eat, check the restaurants website for nutritional information and decide what you'll order before you get there. (One time I was going to Noodles & Company and had decided to get the Med Salad. Well, when I got there, I really wanted the peanut noodles, but I didn't know the nutritional info, so I stuck to my guns. And when I got home, I checked the difference. Med Salad- 550 calories Peanut Noodles- 1100 calories...)
2- A great cookbook is "The Most Decadent Diet Ever" by Devin Alexander
3- Find little ways to be active, it really does add up!

Here's to a healthy life!!

1 comment:

Amy said...

You are my hero. Go Kjersti go!